- Animals can increase a person’s motivation and participation in therapy.
- Animals can help build trust with the therapist and came make the therapy room feel like a safe place.
- Animals can improve everyone’s social interactions.
- Dogs offer unconditional acceptance.
- People may identify with certain animals or characteristics of animals.
- Animals can help people relax when anxious or upset.
- Animals can provide support for us socially and emotionally.
- Some people have difficult connecting with others.
- Animals make learning new things easier.
- The presence of an animal in therapy allows for the focus to be on the animal instead of on the client.
- Animals may help children who have ADHD.
- A person may see his or her own feelings and issues in the animal
- Dogs are funny and playful.
- Animals promote empathy and nurturance.
- Animals can improve self-esteem.
Thursday, 18 April 2013
15 Reasons Animal-Assisted Therapy Works!
Animal assisted therapy can be more effective than traditional talk therapy because: