Whether you leave your dog indoors or out they need to be relaxed and securely enclosed. They also need some challenges to make their day interesting.
RSPCA Victoria recommends the following when leaving home:
- Provide a bed indoors or a weather-proof elevated kennel with clean bedding outdoors
- If left outside, the yard or dog run should be securely enclosed
- Be sure to leave a plentiful supply of fresh water
- Also leave some toys and challenges such as hidden treats or chews
- Consider installing a dog door to provide a variety of environments
- Walk your dog twice a day, far enough to tire them out
- Don't make a fuss of leaving or returning after being absent.
Barking, scratching or digging can be signs of boredom. Try to vary your dog's routines, rotate its toys and get creative with challenges. Dogs love foraging so invest in toys or chews that dispense treats, alternatively bury them in a dog sandpit outside or hide them indoors.
Socialisation with other people and dogs is important. Dog 'play dates' or training classes provide stimulation as well as encouraging good behaviour.
TUESDAY, 13 MARCH 2012
The Anxiety Wrap® – A Therapeutic hug for Dogs!
The Anxiety Wrap® uses maintained pressure and acupressure to relieve stress and end/lessen fears and anxieties in dogs.
Experts believe that pressure has a calming effect on the nervous system.
89% Effectiveness in a Clinical Research Study!
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine conducted a Clinical Research Study with dogs who suffered from thunderstorm fear. Anxiety Wrap® was found to be 89% effective - deemed a "safe & effective treatment for canine thunderstorm phobia."
The Anxiety Wrap® is also a very useful tool for managing excitability or hyperactivity with strangers, on the leash, or in a training environment. Its calming effect helps a dog to focus (or refocus) its energies in a more constructive direction, allowing training to be more effective.
For more information go to: www.anxietywrap.com
The Anxiety Wrap® ends thunderstorm fear, separation anxiety, jumping, persistent barking and more. No drugs - no training! The Anxiety Wrap® uses gentle pressure and acupressure to calm dogs.